cryptical

The Universe. Some scratches of Beryllium. Diving. The Navel of the Galaxies. Maybe god. Maybe the void. Maybe you. Maybe it's just cryptical

Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Month of the Posse

Star: Shooting Star
Mood: Playful
Song: Beauty of Speed * Tori Amos

"I'm comin' back for more * Out of a black and white world * Past a shooting star * The beauty of speed"

A shooting star (or falling star) is the common name of 'meteor.' According to wikipedia, a meteoroid is

a large sand to bouder-sized particle of debris in the Solar system. The visible path of a meteoroid that enters the Earth's (or another body's) atmosphere is a meteor.
Tori Amos’ American Doll Posse has been released exactly a month ago. So naturally, the setlist of May will be based on this album.
It’s a concept of five different women representing different sides of the singer-songwriter.
I’ll choose five songs, my favorite from each character.

Clyde (CliTORIdes): Beauty of Speed

Afraid we’ve been changing
In a way I wasn’t loving
Feel those colors changing
The beauty of speed

I simply can’t get tired of this song. It takes me to far edges of the galaxy, where the stars are ultra shining in multihued colors. A pure euphoric mood emanates from the dual pianos that are coupled with a magnificent drum play. The guitars, which I thought were cheesy in the beginning, only add to the atmospheric aura of the song. And when the bridge comes in… the other world is attained!

Santa (SanaTORIum): Dragon

Now it has come to light
The gods they have slipped up
They forgot about
the power of a woman’s love
This is a magical song. It has the sweet ballad vibe but at the same time proves itself to be as dark as possible. The usage of the Bosendorfer piano, the Meletron and the Fender Rhodes in the same piece calls for attention. It is touching enough with its sweet yet sinister tone. An exceptionally poignant way to end the album.

Tori (Terra-TORIes): Code Red

Victory is an elusive whore
She is as easily mine
As she is yours

This song is one of the best to have been written by Mrs. Amos lately. It belongs on To Venus and Back sonically (My favorite album ever). The production is flawless and puts together a slightly electronic with a steady acoustic drumming and the guitars are, for once, used perfectly. This is as creepy as Tori can get. And the last note is long enough to disturb you (if the whole song has not already done it yet).

Pip (ExpiraTORIal): Body and Soul

Seven devils bring them on
I have left my weapons
'Cause I think you're wrong
These devils of yours they need love

Pure sexy rock n’ roll. A perfect sassy drumming that is met with almost choir-like chanting in an anti-religious anthem in which we are ‘saved from the Sunday sermon.’ The dark pianos and the dual voices make this a rocking tune which works at all levels. It’s the evil twin of the equally brilliant Not David Bowie.

Isabel (HisTORIcal): Almost Rosey

Chin up a happy mask was never your best disguise
Chin up put on a pair of these roseys
In no time you’ll feel almost fine

Brilliant storytelling in this one. While not my favorite on the record, it seeks attention just because of the solo version. Fast and furious piano and high vocals. An emotional mid-part which reminds of American Pie, this song could have easily been on Little Earthquakes or Under the Pink. The somehow overproduced album version reminds us that it’s on ADP. But solo, it’s a pure gem.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I forgot to mention that I also love "You can bring your dog". I bet you hate it :)

11:41 AM, June 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss u soundman:((

11:03 AM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger roubish said...

No, no Susana, I don't dislike YCBYD. It can be fun at times :)

And Andromeda ... where are you!!! Want to see you so much!

11:57 AM, June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I am surprised :p
...and by the way, with the luck I have, wanna bet is going to be Isabel opening the show I am attending?
Just wait and see...

4:41 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger roubish said...

Well, good for you. Out of the four, Isabel is the least I would like to see, even if DSOTS and AR are good.

Pip is kicking some serious ass live!

6:20 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger Administrado por Manuel Chacón Ortiz said...

hey, I love dragon, rosey and soul, but code red is quite flat and boring.. i just don´t know.. and beauty you already know..

9:44 PM, June 08, 2007  
Blogger roubish said...

Manuch ... I hope you'll get to hear Code Red at your show so that it might help you change how you perceive the song.

As to BOS... I prefer not to argue with you :D You have your Bad Man and I have my Beauty of Speed. Fair enough huh?

12:57 AM, June 09, 2007  
Blogger Administrado por Manuel Chacón Ortiz said...

...everyday I know that
I may just be closer
To the sea of frozen words...

tooo ddooo dododod

a deal! I just love it so much.

9:24 AM, June 14, 2007  
Blogger roubish said...

That's like the first time I read those lyrics. Today I think I hate Bad Man more than Secret Spell.
The Munich version made me appreciate the latter a tiny bit more. But Bad Man? Just no!

12:55 PM, June 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh she played the waitress a la hang ten honey!!! I need to hear this :D.

(bit late reaction)

10:31 AM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger roubish said...

Yay for Waitress! And apparently it was a request.
I hope she plays it more often. Precious Things needs to rest for a while. And Cornfuckingflake too!

12:06 PM, June 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home